Do you know a young wheelchair user that would like to be a Sports Coach?
Posted on 5th September 2019 at 09:21
Charity Whizz Kids are working in partnership with Youth Sport Trust, the national charity ensuring that every child can enjoy sport and Comic Relief to deliver a new project which will be a launch pad for young disabled people’s leadership in sport.
The project, called Activate Academy, will launch in early September and we think that you might know a young person who could benefit. The project will train up young wheelchair users to become assistant sports coaches, and then provide them with a supported volunteering placement in a local sports club. After 30 hours of volunteering, the young coaches can apply to Whizz-Kidz for a bursary to fund a coaching qualification of their choice. They are looking for referrals of young people who fit the following criteria:
• Aged 14-25
• Full or part time wheelchair users
• Highly motivated
• Ability or potential to independently travel to and from events (funding can be provided)
• Good communication skills
• Interest in sports and leadership
• Living in and around Birmingham
Whizz-Kidz have ten spaces for our September intake and we will be announcing the application process soon. The young people who are successful will receive the following:
• Bespoke coaching training delivered by Youth Sports Trust
• Complementary training covering safeguarding, wheelchair skills and youth work by Whizz-Kidz
• Peer Mentoring training
• A supported volunteer placement in a sports club that matches their interest
• Access to sports wheelchairs where needed
• A bursary of up to £300 to fund a level 1 or 2 coaching qualification in the sport of their choice
• Support to complete the Youth Sports Award
The programme kicks off with a launch day on the 29th October, and we would aim to meet all prospective participants in advance of that date, so it would be great to receive all expressions of interest before the end of September
If you have anyone in mind that might benefit from this programme, please get in touch with N.firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on how to make a referral.
Nicola Moody | Service Delivery Manager – North
Share this post: